It proposes changes to enhance the protection of Victoria’s environment and human health, whilst introducing a more proportionate, risk-based approach to environment protection legislation including:
• A preventative approach through a general environmental duty
• A tiered permissioning system to support risk based and proportionate regulatory oversight
• Significant reforms to contaminated land and waste management
• Increased maximum penalties
• Requirements for more environmental information to be publicly available
• Modernising and strengthening EPA’s compliance and enforcement powers.