Simon Clay is currently the Manger Waste Management and Disposal at Wyndham City Council in Melbourne. In addition to managing the Council's kerbside collection services he is responsible for the Wests Road Refuse Disposal Facility - one of the big four putrescible landfills servicing metropolitan Melbourne. Since starting at Wyndham in 2015, Simon has implemented a number of projects at the landfill including:
• An alternative daily cover system to reduce soil usage and increase airspace utilisation
• A GPS system to improve compaction performance at the tip face
• Significant plant and equipment upgrading
• Obtaining a whole of site works approval from EPA, with approval for up to 21.5 million m3 of future airspace
• Improvements to gas and leachate management resulting in a significant reduction in community odour complaints.
Prior to joining Wyndham, Simon spent 2 years with the City of Greater Bendigo as manager of its waste services, including the Eaglehawk landfill and 13 years with the Victorian State Government agency Sustainability Victoria working on the range of programs to improve the resource recovery capacity of the Victorian waste management sector.